6 green peppers
1lb ground turkey (I prefer Jenni-O Italian seasoned)*
1pkg marinara sauce
1/2c sweet onion, chopped
1-1/2c brown rice, precooked**
1-1/2t Worcestershire sauce
Shredded cheddar, mozzarella, favorite cheese
1. If you do not have rice pre made, get it going.
2. Wash and cut tops off peppers. Remove seeds and membranes. Rinse peppers under cold water. Chop edible parts of pepper tops. Place peppers in a large pot; cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.
3. While peppers cook, sauté ground turkey till fully cooked. Add chopped green pepper (from tops) and chopped onion for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add oregano and 1-12c marinara sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine egg and Worcestershire sauce. Add egg mixture to step 3, and add cooked rice. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour remaining marinara sauce over the stuffed peppers.
5. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes. If desired, top stuffed peppers with a little shredded cheese just before peppers are done; bake until cheese is melted.
Recipe serves 6.
* to make veggie, either omit, add diced tomatoes/mushrooms/spinach, or tofu. Chicken and beef also work instead of turkey.
** this would be amazing made with quinoa. I refrained due to my family currently being quinoad-out.
*** to vegan-ize, either omit or for each egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed (measure after grinding) with 3 tablespoons of water.