4 large bone-in/skin-on chicken breasts
1T garlic powder
water…enough to cover the chicken. 5 cups?*
*you will need 4c broth later*
1. Boil chicken for 20-30 min till the chicken is cooked and easily falls off the bone. Strain broth into a large bowl, set aside. Dice chicken and set aside.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2c chopped onion
1/2c chopped celery
1/2c chopped baby carrots
1/2c all-purpose flour
2t white sugar
1t dried basil
1/2t ground black pepper
4c chicken broth
10oz frozen or canned peas, drained
4c diced, cooked chicken meat
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
3. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots in butter until tender. Mix in the flour, sugar, salt, basil, and pepper. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil 1 minute, reduce heat, and stir in peas. Simmer 5 minutes, then mix in chicken. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
**I used a cast-iron dutch oven for everything from the chicken to sauteing veggies, to the oven.**
2c all-purpose, unbleached flour
2t baking powder
1/4t baking soda
7 T unsalted butter, chilled in freezer and cut into thin slices
2t dried basil
3/4c cold buttermilk***
TIP *** WHAT? You don’t have buttermilk? Me either. NO.BIG.DEAL. Take 3/4c milk, add 3T distilled white vinegar and mix together. Let sit 5 minutes. VOILA!!!
4. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, basil, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
5. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes. OR you can toss the butter into the freezer and slice it ULTRA thin and continue using that whisk.
6. Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined. Divide the dough into 6 to 8 balls. On floured wax paper, use the palm of your hand to flatten each ball of dough into a circular shape; place on top of chicken mixture.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake for 10 more minutes. To serve, spoon chicken mixture over biscuits. Enjoy!!!