2T extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped & sauteed
4c vegetable stock
2-3T minced garlic
2 15oz cans of tomatoes, drained
– I use 1 can of petite diced and 1 can of fire roasted. Then puree the fire roasted.
2 15oz cans of mixed veggies
– low sodium. I prefer carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans, corn, lima beans…you pick.
1 15oz can great northern beans, drained
1 15oz can garbonzo beans, drained
2 15oz cans of kidney beans, drained
– I prefer one each of light and dark red.
1T dried parsley
1-1/2t dried oregano
1t sea salt (or to taste)
1/2t ground black pepper
1/2t dried basil
1/4t dried thyme
8oz chopped frozen spinach
1. Add EVOO to medium pan. Sautee onion till it’s translucent.
2. Add everything to your crockpot.
3. Cook on high for 3-4hrs or on low for 6-8hrs.
– If cooking on your stovetop, bring to a boil and then drop the temp to simmer for 40 minutes.
– DO NOT SUBSTITUTE CHICKEN BROTH….it’s not the same.
2lb Italian turkey sausage (or 1lb Italian turkey sausage & 1lb ground turkey)
– you could also use sausage or beef
2 – 15oz cans of dark red kidney beans
1T extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2T garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 – 28oz cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 – 16oz can tomato sauce
1 – 3oz can tomato paste
3T chili powder
1-2T granulated sugar (to taste)
1t black pepper
1-2t crushed red pepper (to taste)
1/3c jalapeno slices (optional)
1. In a large pot brown meat. Drain fat. Add EVOO, onions and garlic, saute for 5 min. 2A. IF NOT USING A SLOW COOKER: In a separate medium pot, make sauce. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, sugar, black pepper, red pepper, bay leaves, and jalapenos. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. 2B. IF USING A SLOW COOKER: Add all ingredients from 2A, stir.
3A. Add beans and sauce to the meat pot. Simmer 30-45 min.
3B. Add meat mixture to slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10hrs or on high for 4hrs.
Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and tortilla chips! Or corn bread!
I had intended on trying to make bread bowls, but after getting everything out I realized I didn’t have any yeast. Super bummed! Next time definitely…and I’ll include the recipe! This was served with a side salad and grilled chicken. Even my picky man ate every bit!!! INGREDIENTS
5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (veggie broth works great too!)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (use RICE flour to make GF!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon sherry
1. In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in the broth with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. In blender or food processor, puree the mixture , leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside.
3. In the saucepan, melt the butter, whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, half and half and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste, and add sherry.
This was paired with bbq meatball subs with gouda cheese for dinner. HUGE hit!
2c diced redskin potatoes. if you are using anything other than redskins, peal first.
1/2c diced celery
1/2c chopped red onion
1/2c chopped red pepper, optional
1 (11 ounce) can creamed corn
16oz frozen whole kernel corn
1 (12 fluid ounce) can UNSWEETENED evaporated milk
1/8t ground cayenne pepper, more if you like heat. ;^)
1/4t sea salt
1. In a large pot over medium heat, place potatoes, celery and onion with water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Drain.
2. Return vegetables to pot with creamed corn, corn, evaporated milk, cayenne and salt over low heat. Simmer 30-40 minutes.
*NOTE. With any recipe like this I will double the ingredients to freeze in ziplock bags for individual servings for my lunches since I work from home and don’t typically allow myself a “lunch break.” The frozen bags thaw in about two minutes under hot water to then break up enough to get into a bowl, and then three to five minutes in the microwave.
In search of locating a soft, non chunky soup this past week (I had surgery on my mouth yesterday) I ran across THIS ONE from 365 Days of Slow Cooking via Pinterest. There is now a new favorite in my world, and I have my girlfriend, Teri’s, approval…being that I can’t taste it as well with a huge guard in my mouth. After getting my kids off to school I passed out for a couple hours and missed the slow cooker opportunity (thanks meds!), so I grabbed my dutch oven and tweaked it to what I had in my house AND made it ready to serve in just over an hour. This is too good not to share….
1T unsalted butter
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
(I had canned petite diced tomatoes w/sweet onions)
1c finely diced celery
1c finely diced carrots
1c finely diced onions
1-2T minced garlic (I added this because I LOVE garlic)
1t dried oregano
1T dried basil
4c chicken stock (use veggie stock for all you veggie lovers)
½ bay leaf
½c flour (use rice flour to make GF)
1c Parmesan cheese
2c half and half, warmed
¼t ground black pepper
1. Add butter, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic to dutch oven. Saute till tender.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, and bay leaf.
3. Cover and cook on med/low for 30-45 minutes, until flavors are blended.
4. Ladle out about a cup of broth and mix with flour in a separate bowl. You may need to also add 1/2c water to make the rouge smoother. Add parmesan cheese to your dutch oven while making the rouge…giving it more time to melt.
5. Slowly while stirring, add rouge to soup. Turn heat up to medium and allow to thicken for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the warmed half and half, salt and pepper.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for another 10-15 minutes or so until ready to serve.
2lbs chicken breasts, poached and shredded
16oz jar salsa (pick your favorite…I use Chi-Chi’s black bean and corn)
48oz jar great northern white beans
16-20oz chicken broth
1-2t chili powder
1 can chopped green chilies (optional)
16oz monterray jack or pepper jack cheese
After your chicken is poached and shredded add all ingredients, minus the cheese) into your crockpot. Cook for 1-2hrs on med/high, add cheese and allow to cook till cheese melts…30 additional minutes-ish. Can be kept on warm for hours.
Serve with sour cream, more shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and additional salsa if you like!