3c cooked quinoa (1c dry quinoa to 2c water, broth or stock)
2-3T olive or avocado oil
1 large red bell pepper, de-seeded & sliced thin
1/2-1 large green bell pepper, de-seeded & sliced thin (optional)
1 large onion (any), halved & sliced thin
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1t chili powder
1/2t sweet paprika
1/4-1/2t cayenne pepper (to taste)
– MIX OF ANY BELOW –
1-1.5lbs raw chicken breasts (thinly sliced), steak (thinly sliced), shrimp, or veggies/beans
– veggies could be broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, black or pinto beans (drain & rinse beans)
1/2-3/4c tomato salsa (pick your favorite!)
4oz cheese, shredded (pepper jack, cheddar, colby jack)…I now use vegan/dairy-free cheeses
2 scallions, green & white parts, sliced thin
1. In a medium sauce pan start your quinoa. Follow directions on package. I will also add garlic & onion powder (1/2t ea) an a little salt. Completely optional.
2. Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion. Cook till softened and starting to brown. About 10 minutes.
3. Add fresh garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and cayenne, and cook for about 1 minute. Stir constantly.
4. Add your protein and/or veggies. Stirring till fully cooked…veggies need to be slightly softened. You may need to add a little more oil for this step.
If using beans, wait till step 5.
5. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add your cooked quinoa, salsa, and beans. Stir till well mixed and warm throughout.
6. Turn the heat down to low, sprinkle cheese on top. Cover the skillet and leave until the cheese is melted.
7. Sprinkle the scallions on top and serve!