1 gallon veggie broth
1c sea salt
1T dried sage
1T dried savory
1T dried rosemary
1T dried thyme
1c cooking sherry (optional)
1 gallon ice water
1. In a large stock pot, combine the vegetable broth, sea salt, sage, savory, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and sherry. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to be sure salt is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
2. When the broth mixture is cool, pour it into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the ice water.
3. Wash and dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure that the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Remove the turkey carefully draining off the excess brine and pat dry. Discard excess brine.
5. Cook the turkey as desired reserving the drippings for gravy. Keep in mind that brined turkeys cook 20 to 30 minutes faster so watch the temperature gauge.
PS. These measurements are for a 12-15lb turkey.