New staple.Original recipe found on allrecipes.com, there were some modifications made between what I had on hand and a full meal. Shoot. Anytime I can hide veggies I do!
6 orange bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
1lb ground chicken
– I used ground down chicken breasts. Pre-ground chicken or turkey would make this simpler.
1/3c chopped onion
1 (15oz) can of petite diced tomotoes
1c frozen chopped spinach
1/2c brown rice or quinoa
3/4c veggie broth
1c Gouda cheese, shredded
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil; cook orange bell peppers until slightly softened. About 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir chicken and onion in the skillet until brown and crumbly, 10 minutes. If using turkey, drain and discard grease.
3. Preheat oven to 350.
4. Stir tomatoes, spinach, brown rice, and broth into chicken mixture; cover skillet and simmer until rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes…or until the mixture is firm and rice is completely cooked. Remove skillet from heat; stir Gouda cheese into chicken mixture.
5. Stuff each orange bell pepper withmixture and place peppers, open-side up, in a baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, 25 to 35 minutes.
These are AMAZING as leftovers too. I’ve also brought this to a potluck. Use four peppers instead and dice them. Don’t worry about boiling, just add them to the chicken mixture before it goes into your casserole dish and into the oven.