First, I need to say that this recipe is modified from Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures. I went looking for and apple/peanut butter something, and her blog showed up. I’m certain her recipe is amazing, but I like to incorporate greek yogurt for the extra protein, more fruit when possible…and of course, I had this new container of PB2 (see image below) that I was wanting to incorporate. I’ll be trying it out in shakes later this week!
After posting this recipe, it hit me… WHAT IF you were to stick a piece of caramel in the center of these?! I’ve done it with brownie’s made in muffin tins. I bet adding caramel to this would be excellent! Let me know if you try it, how it turns out!
1c traditional oats
2/3c brown sugar
1/2t sea salt
2t baking powder
1/3c powdered peanut butter (PB2)
1/2c greek yogurt (pick your flavor to sweeten, or plain works great too)
1c unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 to 1c apple, chopped
SALTED CRUMBLE TOPPING
1/4c + 2T all purpose flour
1/3c brown sugar
1/4c butter, cold cut into chunks
1t coarse sea salt…all I had was fine, and it worked fine 😉
PREP – makes 12-15 standard size muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place liners in muffin tin.
2. Make the crumble first. In a medium bowl mix together flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon. Add in butter and mix in until butter is size of peas. A fork or your hands work the best. Place bowl back in the fridge until ready to use.
3. For the muffins…In a large bowl mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, PB2, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl mix together eggs, yogurt, apple sauce, and milk. Mix together until well combined.
5. Add wet mixture into your dry flour mixture. Stir together till all ingredients are moist, then stir in your apples.
6. Fill your liners with approx 1/4c of batter each. You want them filled almost right to the top.
7. Take crumble out of the fridge and load up the top of the batter with crumble. Press down slightly if necessary to add more crumble.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes.