This is the first meal I can remember making as a kid….7-8 years old? I found it in one of my mom’s cookbooks and I’ve been making it ever since. There are some great things you can.not.ever change.
2-2 1/2c shredded colby jack or cheddar & jack cheese
2c milk (2% or whole)
1t yellow mustard
2c dry elbow noodles
salt/pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and start your noodles per the boxes directions.
2. Melt butter over med-low heat. stir in flour and continue to stir till there aren’t anymore lumps. Turn up stove to medium heat and add milk a little at a time, again, stirring out the lumps. It will gradually thicken. Add mustard and 1-3/4c cheese. Allow to melt till it’s super smooth…DO NOT LET YOUR CHEESE SAUCE BOIL. Taste for adding salt/pepper.
3. Mix noodles and cheese sauce and pour into a oil sprayed/oven friendly dish.
4. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Top with remaining cheese, and bake for another 10 minutes uncovered.
TIP… When the fun2 were little, before Tyler caught onto me, I would take one to one and a half cups of frozen broccoli flowerettes and grind them down to green dust with my food processor and add to the cheese sauce before adding the mustard. The only challenge this caused was when Ty told another mom she didn’t make her mac-n-cheese correctly during a playdate and refused her meal. Ooops!!!