In search of locating a soft, non chunky soup this past week (I had surgery on my mouth yesterday) I ran across THIS ONE from 365 Days of Slow Cooking via Pinterest. There is now a new favorite in my world, and I have my girlfriend, Teri’s, approval…being that I can’t taste it as well with a huge guard in my mouth. After getting my kids off to school I passed out for a couple hours and missed the slow cooker opportunity (thanks meds!), so I grabbed my dutch oven and tweaked it to what I had in my house AND made it ready to serve in just over an hour. This is too good not to share….
1T unsalted butter
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
(I had canned petite diced tomatoes w/sweet onions)
1c finely diced celery
1c finely diced carrots
1c finely diced onions
1-2T minced garlic (I added this because I LOVE garlic)
1t dried oregano
1T dried basil
4c chicken stock (use veggie stock for all you veggie lovers)
½ bay leaf
½c flour (use rice flour to make GF)
1c Parmesan cheese
2c half and half, warmed
¼t ground black pepper
1. Add butter, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic to dutch oven. Saute till tender.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, and bay leaf.
3. Cover and cook on med/low for 30-45 minutes, until flavors are blended.
4. Ladle out about a cup of broth and mix with flour in a separate bowl. You may need to also add 1/2c water to make the rouge smoother. Add parmesan cheese to your dutch oven while making the rouge…giving it more time to melt.
5. Slowly while stirring, add rouge to soup. Turn heat up to medium and allow to thicken for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the warmed half and half, salt and pepper.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for another 10-15 minutes or so until ready to serve.